top of page

Why You May Need to Name Short Term Guardians

Updated: Aug 3, 2021

You need to name short term guardians if your permanent choice is not nearby. Gone are the days of buying a home and raising a family in the town you grew up in surrounded by immediate and extended family and friends. We live everywhere now. If the people you choose as guardians are not located nearby, you must name a temporary guardian who will care for your children in the interim until your permanent choice can be located and make travel arrangements. This is especially important if you have named family outside of the US. Consider asking co-workers, neighbors, and the parents of your children’s friends if they would agree to look after your little ones until your guardians arrive. If there is a delay in your guardian's arrival and you have not named a temporary guardian, again, the local social service agency may take responsibility for your children. That's not something we ever want to see happen.

21 views0 comments


bottom of page